Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Home Sweet Home.......

We got home around 3pm today after Meg had her drainage tubes removed and lots of faffing around was completed..... Removing the tubes was quite traumatic and painful and the wounds are pretty sore and bruised, but all in all she's doing great and nobody can believe that it's only a week to the day since her operation! Marianne (the oncologist) came to see us before we left to give us the results of the tumour histology. All of the tumour was removed with a good margin of healthy tissue around the whole thing. Most of the tumour was necrotic, but some of it was still active. This could mean that there are other diseased cells in Meg's body that could become problematic in the future so more chemotherapy is vital. After a long discussion about working around the much anticipated visit of my brother Simon and his youngest daughter Jennifer, on 29th March, we agreed that 8th April would be the next round of chemo. Marianne feels that we have an advantage over this disease now, and that she wants to maintain that advantage by bombarding it with 3 more cycles of chemo. We all pray that this plan of action will do the trick and leave our little girl to get on with her life.....

I went to pathology yesterday and saw the right lobe of Meg's liver that was removed and the tumour. I'm sure lots of people think that I'm strange wanting to do that, but it does help me process the whole thing. I did the same with the first huge tumour that she had removed. I wanted to see this cancer; this monstrous disease, that is threatening my Meggie's life. My first sight of it made me gasp a little and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "oh bless....that's part of my little girl...." The lobe of her liver was much bigger than I expected, as was the tumour, but I could clearly see that it was all out, and there in front of me. It made me feel so sad that this "specimin" and all the slices next to it came from my Meg's body, but when I saw the tumour I felt so mad. It was so obviously different and sinister to me. Maybe that's what helps me - being able to actually direct my anger at something physical, instead of just the word "cancer". Whatever it is, I'm glad that I did it, but I hope I never have to see another piece of my little girl on a sterile tray ever again.

Here are a couple of photos taken this afternoon - both sleeping (again!) but she has had a very big week so I'm sure you'll all understand.






9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh bloody hell Jane! You made me cry and run my mascara!!
I am blown away by this news,its as positive as we could hope for and some.
I WILL SEE YOU TOMORROW!!!!!
I am so proud and honoured to know you guys x x x x
And just adore the piccie of meg and the cat.

Anonymous said...

hello meg its me jay just to let you know that i lit a candle for you. we all hope you get better soon . next time i see you i will have my nail kit love Jayxx

Shaz said...

Words fail me... you are such a fantastic trooper, well done Meggie for being so marvellous. Get plenty of rest sweetheart.xxxx Shaz...xxx

thebeegeez said...

Oh Meggie, I cried when I read the note in red from your Mom. You are one tough old boot gal !!!!!!! It's fabulous news. lets hope the last three rounds of nasty treatment will kick this for good and then you can get on with driving your Mom up the wall !!!!!

Take it easy Meggie Moo, and you Janie.... lots of love to you all

xoxoxooxooxoxo

Clare said...

Wow not a dry eye in my house tonight i have just read your mums latest report about your latest battle you will never stop amazing me with your bravery and strength .As sharon said lets hope this next lot of chemo will be the last you will ever have to suffer .I think you and your family are just amazing you are a credit to anyone in this world .Jane you are a fantastic mum showing incredible inner strength I am so proud and privilaged to know you and have you as a friend .Keep up the fight if anyone deserves to beat this you stanleys do .All our prayers and love Clare and rest of campbell clan xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, Phil, Meg, Ellie and all your family.

What an amazing lot you all are. The latest news is fantastic and such great news for your future.We read your posts with such huge admiration and often have a good cry as well. Although we know there are some more tough times ahead, your young lady has such fortitude and strength, as do you all, make sure you all get some rest and just think about what you have achieved so far. It really is exceptional.

Kate, Terry, Nicolae,Anna & Ben xx

Roebucks said...

Sleep well, sweet Meg. It is when your body can heal and fight and win. All our love to you - Simon, Karli and Oliver.

Kiera said...

Well done Megs! You're making cancer look foolish! It'll rue the day it ever messed with you!

Enjoy your time home, and rest up big!!
xox
Kiera

Clare said...

Hi Meg
Have a fab time with your uncle Simon and Jenifer hope you all have a ball love Clare xx